How much a PCR test costs depends on where it’s done and how quickly you need the result. The prices for a PCR test are between 60 and 200 euros. If you have a test carried out at the airport, you may have to pay even more for it.
The health insurance companies only pay for a PCR test if a doctor treating you suspects a corona infection and orders the test. This also applies to a positive rapid corona test, for example in a test center or at the health department. If a PCR test is subsequently requested, this will be paid for.
How much a PCR test costs – it depends on the time
A PCR test is performed within two to three minutes. If the sample has been taken from the nasopharynx or the pharyngeal wall, it is examined and evaluated in a laboratory. Depending on how many samples are submitted per day, it takes 24 to 48 hours for the result to be available. It costs usually69 euros and is only paid for by health insurance if the test was ordered by a doctor or the health department.
- Anyone who wants to travel abroad is often confronted with the fact that a current negative corona test result must be presented upon entry. Current corona tests from some countries must also be presented by May 31, 2022 when entering Germany.
- Since it takes some travelers too long to have the test evaluated in their home laboratory from the swab to the result, the airports have adjusted to this situation. Many German airports therefore offer to have the PCR test carried out directly at the airport. These tests must be paid for privately.
- The price of the PCR test depends on how quickly the traveler needs the result. The time span here is between 24 hours and 30 minutes. The quicker the result is desired, the more expensive the PCR test.
- At Frankfurt Airport, for example, a PCR test in the EcoCare Corona test center costs 69 euros if the result only has to be available in 24 hours. If you only have 6 hours left, you already pay 99 euros. For a result within 90 minutes, 149 euros are due, and for a result within 30 minutes even 269 euros.
- It is a bit cheaper at the airport in Düsseldorf. Here the prices are between 59 and 239 euros depending on the speed. In Berlin-Brandenburg, a PCR test costs 75 euros if you have 36 hours to wait. For a result within 45 minutes you have to pay 177.69 euros.
- It is important that you do not eat or drink anything, smoke or brush your teeth 15 minutes before the test. Otherwise the result will be falsified. It is best to find out well in advance of your trip whether you need to register online to reserve a test time, when the test center is open and how much money you need to budget for the test.